Monday, May 20, 2013

Inspiration from "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" by Vaughan Williams



So for a project for orchestra class, I decided to do a poem inspired by Ralph Vaughan Williams' piece "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis." I did this piece because the first time I ever heard it, a few years ago, the first thing I could imagine was a heroic scene about the returning of the race of dragons.  I imagined them flying above the sea where there were I think four islands, and under the sea was glowing golden grass.  It was sunset and I imagined myself as a character watching as hundreds of dragons passed overhead.

When I played this piece of music a couple years later as the viola soloist, I was afraid I would ruin this wonderful, lush scene, but when me and the orchestra performed it, I found myself within this scene again, and it was quite a nice throwback into the past, and one of the most inspiring pieces all year.

--Aberswythe

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting! May you be flying with dragons forever! :)

    ReplyDelete